02 November 2009

12 Minutes Max at On the Boards

Yesterday was the audition for the 12 MM at OtB. And I got the call last night from Brian Neel, one of the curators, saying we were accepted. Yay!

Anne, Teresa, and Maya were great, which for me, was not so surprising! There seemed to be a bit of nervous energy between the three of them and I can hardly blame anyone if they were nervous, as I was. Auditioning for anything is much more stressful than performing in an actual show. It's more intimate and because of that is harder to enter the performer mindset which is usually very comforting and for me is my happy place.

Another not so surprising, yet also rather surprising element of the audition was that I was more nervous than I've been in over a decade of performing in Seattle. Mostly because I wasn't a performer and had to actually speak to people about the piece. I also forgot Anne and Teresa's heels which was frustrating. (Seeing them put on the high heels is the best!) And we're talking shaking hands and voice nervous. Having the audition over and heading to rehearsal was a major relief.

Nice comments in Brian's message included that they (two curators and Sean Ryan from OtB) enjoyed the piece and that it is going to go at the top of the show because it's lively and dynamic. Wahooo!

I believe the section we auditioned was timed at just over 6.5 minutes which means that we have about 4 minutes to build in a very, very short period of time. But, we can do it! It was a really positive thing having other people see it (for the first time) in the current state and though I KNOW I will be -peeing my pants nervous- come showtime, am confident that the three ladies performing will put my nerves to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment